COIL-3D is a CAD tool for determining best performing inductor geometries for use in Inductive Coupling Link (ICL) based Three Dimensional Integrated Circuits (3D-ICs), developed at the University of Southampton, in collaboration with Arm Research.
The tool takes as its inputs a configuration file (*.cfg) describing the physical and electrical parameters required for the design and then generates an inductor layout to maximise the performance of the inductive channel, for data transmission at a given frequency.
COIL-3D consists of two main elements:
- The solver: a set of mathematical expressions to compute the electrical characteristics of the link directly from its physical parameters;
- The optimiser: the optimisation algorithm used to determine best-performing layouts
The tool also provides a gui viewer utility, to visualise the otpimisation process and allows export of:
- A SPICE netlist of the link
- A DXF file containing the physical inductor geometry
- A HFSS project file containing the generated inductor